So while i was setting up to cut the first of 24 coil cups for the magnetic bed i ran into a small electromechanical issue, the handle on the Z axis caught a wire which cause the loom to get pulled which in turn caught and pinched the Z stepper wires and proceeded to release the magic smoke that killed the axis' stepper driver. Not happy jan...
After i sorted that problem out i proceeded to attempt the first cut thats when i found the Z backlash to be bad, so i changed the code so it only drives the Z axis in the downward direction, making the backlash not a problem for now..
I Loaded up the chuck with a 7mm 4 flute end mill cutter slapped a chunk of 25mm hex bar into the jaws of the dividing head and set the Z axis to be 16mm in SW and HW and hit play.. the results are below.
I discovered that i really really need to mount the DRO scales permanently they have about 0.5mm of backlash in them.. i will replace the temporary double sided tape for screws.
in the video you cant quite see it but we jury-rigged an air blower up to clear the swarf from the job and spread it far and wide across the workshop..
we smashed a 7mm end cutter into a ball of brokenness when i was playing with some settings and spun the job in the chuck at a speed FAR FAR too fast the slider was reset between reboots and i forgot the defaults are still dangerous!... oh well another $5 on ebay.. i have more cutters to replace i have lunched a few while learning the limits of the mill, these cutters are dirt cheap so i dont mind..
I was meant to make the drive bolt for my printer as the first project but unfortunately i dont have the brass rod thats the right size for the job :( so i am keeping my self busy while i wait for the steel store to open :)